Monday, August 31, 2009

First Day Jitters



The first day at a new job is a lot like your first day in High School--equal parts exciting and sickening.

My day started with my mom calling me way early*--hopefully soon everyone will realize that I am an hour behind the East Coast--so 7:15 am for you is butt crack early for me.
*Don't get mad mom--I love it when you call--no matter how early :)

So they wanted me to show up between 8:30 and 9:00 and not wanting to look like a kiss up--or a slacker I planned to get to work at 8:45. Perfect. I left on time--even had some extra time--so that when I got lost (FYI me getting lost is going to be a reoccurring theme in this blog) I would still make it. So I am pulling up to the building around 8:40ish--and low and behold I have forgotten my second form of identification. Awesome. So I call my boss Shawn--he was totally cool about it--and I headed back home. Of course I got lost on my way home--but now I think I have the way to work down pat.
I finally made it in around 9:15. So much for that perfect attendance record.
My day was great--your typical first day--paperwork--shaking hands--meeting new people. Lucky for me everyone seems great--and they are happy to have me!
No topicals today since the Vikes (look at me talking like a local) have a game and my station is airing it.
I got off early and headed to Ikea--full of college kids and screaming kids--I didn't last long and headed over to the Mall of America--I just went to Macy's and looked at the shoe department--I dont own ANY closed toe shoes--and so I have to get some--but I just cant--I hate it when my feet are hot. So there is a good chance that this blog will have a chapter about my frost bitten toes--as I couldn't bring myself to buy a single pair of shoes--they had a wonderful sandal/flip-flop selection--and ALMOST bought a few pairs--but I resisted...and left empty handed.

My drive home was awesome--and by awesome--I obviously mean not even close. My 10 mile/15 minute drive turned into a 35 mile/50 minute drive. Even my Garmin (I call him Lee) was getting pissed at me.
Also--something I don't remember from Driver's Ed--you can go Left on Red--and if you don't these sweet mid-westerners really let you have it!
Speaking of driving--I was just told that to switch my Drivers License I have to take a written test--so I am going to start studying now!

1 comment:

  1. glad your first day went well... and you NEED to go get some closed-toe shoes lady. your "awesome - and by awesome - i obviously mean not even close" made me spitlaugh.

    looks like traffic and driving suck everywhere.

    ReplyDelete